SAMPLE OF THE DAILY SCHEDULE
This schedule varies according to team’s educational levels and other program needs.
7:00AM to 8:00AM Wake up and ADL’s
7:30AM to 8:45AM Breakfast
8:45AM to 11:30AM Academics or Topic Specific Group
11:30AM to 12:00PM 1st Lunch
12:00PM to 12:30PM 2nd Lunch
12:30PM to 1:00PM 3rd Lunch
3:30PM to 4:45PM Activity or free time
4:30PM to 5:45PM Dinner
5:15PM to 7:00PM Dorm time
7:00PM to 8:00PM Activity
8:00PM to 8:30PM Quiet time and ADL’s
8:30PM to 9:30PM Bedtime (TEAMS ACTUAL BEDTIMES ARE LISTED IN DORMS and vary by treatment level)
- Students attend school year round. Our school calendar has 180 days during the traditional school year and 36 days during the summer school session.
- We do not close for inclement weather since our students reside on campus.
- School hours are from 8:45am-3:00pm Monday through Friday.
- The school does have 6 weeks of vacation in a calendar year.
- All students are expected to follow all rules set forth by Hillcrest Educational Centers and the individual classroom setting.
- Backpacks, any music devices, inappropriate attire, hats/hoods, sunglasses, and toys are just some of the items prohibited from the school building.
- Students are permitted to listen to music in the classrooms when provided by the teachers or staff. This plan would be reflected in the student’s treatment plan.
- We encourage families to make calls after school so as not to interrupt student academic instruction. We recognize that there may be occasions when a service provider or family may need to speak to them during the school day about an urgent matter, or to help the student cope with a pressing issue.
- Teachers will issue homework at their discretion. When homework is given, all students are expected to complete the assignments neatly, thoroughly, and in a timely manner. Staff are available to support students with homework assignments.
- Our school provides all students the opportunity to take state assessments as required by their home state, such as MCAS, NY State Regents, as well as SATs if applicable.
- No Swearing. We expect everyone to use their indoor voices and polite and respectful language.
- Respect your environment and living rooms! Personal belongings should be put away each day and not left in the lounge. Students and staff will sit in their assigned seats in the lounge. Students are not allowed to write on the board in the lounge with the chore schedule and daily schedule.
- You need to ask staff for permission before:
- Leaving your seat
- Going in or out of your room
- Going in or out of the bathroom
- Going in or out of the laundry room
- Students are not allowed to spend time in the doorway of other students bedrooms or in the hallways.
- All students are expected to do their chores and ADL’s properly. If you need help ask staff, that’s what we are here for!
- All students are expected to participate in circle up’s or community meetings.
- Students are not allowed in the laundry room without staff being present.
- Students may request TV shows to watch but staff will be in charge of managing the remote control.
All students are assigned a chore that needs to be completed each day. There are assigned times when chores need to be done. If a student refuses to do his/her chore, or if he/she continually refuses or becomes disrespectful, they will be provide skill coaching assistance to complete this task.
Chores change on a regular basis as determined by the team staff (usually week), so everyone gets the opportunity to do all chores. This is both a learning experience so that the students know how to do all the chores and keeps students from doing the same one each week.
Chores also help to keep the dorm clean and helps the students take responsibility for their living environment. The student’s personal belongings should not be left in the common area when the student is not there.
Activities of Daily Living: Students are expected to stay clean and maintain a neat, clean living area. They are expected to shower at least once a day (sometimes Treatment Team, will require 2 showers), brush their teeth, comb their hair, use deodorant, and wear clean clothes, etc. Some students have difficulty with their ADLs and need reminding and instructions. Make sure students have what they need when going into the bathroom (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.). In some cases, Treatment Team will require a soap and shampoo check. That is where once the student is in the shower with shampoo and soap applied, they ask staff to check. Staff (preferably male) cracks the bathroom door and the student sticks his head out the door to show the shampoo. The student then finishes his shower. Due to the number of students in each team students should try and limit themselves to 15 minutes. All showers should be completed in the evening unless two (2) showers a day are specified by Treatment Team.
They should also shave, if needed, on a regular basis and razors can be obtained from the supervisor. While the student has the razor in the bathroom, the door will remain open with staff in the doorway. If the student needs help shaving – staff should give them instructions since they may never have had anyone to show them. Once completed the used razor should be returned to the Supervisor’s Office. This is approved through treatment team.
As part of keeping their clothes clean each student is assigned a laundry day. They are expected to wash their own clothes and bedding on a regular basis. Staff should be reminding and then if needed instructing students to get their laundry done. Highpoint provides laundry soap and all other ADL supplies that the student may need – the students may purchase their own products if they choose.
DINING ROOM EXPECTATIONS
- Students should sit quietly until served.
- Once served, students can speak quietly with others at their table
- Students need permission to leave their seats.
- Students are not to talk between tables.
- After finishing dinner, students should complete their chores/clean their areas.
- Students should wait until the team is finished eating and the staff transitions the team before leaving the table.
- Students should not talk at the table if there is not a staff present to monitor the conversation.
- A student should eat something for dinner before eating desert or snack, even if they only eat a salad or fruit
Clothing should be clean, in good condition (no holes) and age- appropriate.
Baggy pants must be worn at the waist and with a belt. Undergarments must be worn at all times.
Hats and coats are for outside use only. Hats, hoods and coats are not allowed to be worn in the building.
No clothes that depict violence, gangs, drugs or sex.
No revealing shirts, i.e., sheer, tank tops, half-shirts, muscle shirts, or plunging necklines.
No tight clothing.
No heels above 2 inches.
No bandanas, dew rags, and/or altered clothing. (Dew rags & bandanas allowed at bedtime only)
Staff may ask students not to wear similar colors as other students
No body piercing. No more than 1 earring per ear is allowed. No hoops, studs only.
No facial jewelry or tongue rings.
No new tattoos.